Attributed to Alexandre Theroude, Paris commissioned by Guillard for A La Galerie Vivienne. Circa 1850. 12” (31 cm) doll. A paper mache lady with enamel eyes, slightly parted lips with tiny teeth, original white mohair wig with long curls at the sides of face and elaborately coiled braid at the back, lady body with shapely bosom and waist, kid lower arms with separated fingers, is wearing her superb original silk and lace gown with ruffled sleeves, matching feathered bonnet with velvet plush edging, carrying lace hankie and a bouquet of tiny flowers, and is presented under her original glass dome that has preserved her originality. The doll is posed upon a green tin three-wheeled base with mechanical works. The under base has small paper label, Guillard. Movements: She glides forward as though walking, twirls, and then walks again. Her head turns side to side and she moves her arms up and down. Marks: Guillard. Historical References: The luxury doll and toy boutique of Francois Guillard, named A La Galerie Vivienne, was considered one of the finest in Paris. His goods, chosen from renowned makers, were selected for exhibition at the Industrial Fair of Paris in 1844 and the Universal Exposition of Paris in 1849. One of the makers he represented was Theroude, who likely was the creator of this magnificent mechanical lady of the court. The Watteau style costume was popular at this time, representing the Parisian’s concept of the romantic life of the countryside.